A quinoa and black bean salad makes an easy, wholesome lunch or a good side for supper. Gluten-free and vegetarian- and vegan-friendly, it’s also an ideal dish to share at potlucks and other gatherings. Our salad dressing is made with fresh squeezed tangerines and our NUCO Classic Vinegar for a more palatable taste than apple cider vinegar.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (any color), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups (or 1 can) cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
NUCO Salad Dressing:
- 4 tangerines, halved
- 1/4 cup NUCO Premium Coconut Oil - Original
- 2 teaspoons NUCO Classic Coconut Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place quinoa and 2 cups of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over low heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff quinoa with a fork to cool.
- Prepare oranges while quinoa is cooling. Finely grate the zest of one orange and set aside. Supreme both oranges, reserving the juice (squeeze the orange membranes after segmenting), and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together NUCO Premium Coconut Oil, Classic Coconut Vinegar, honey, freshly squeezed tangerine juice, salt, a few cracks of pepper, and honey. Adjust seasonings if desired.
- Place quinoa, black beans, onion, in a large bowl and stir gently to combine. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.